Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

May 29, 2013 Memorial Day, P-Day

Talofa Fam!!!

   Thank you all so much for all of the letters and the packages this past week with my b-day. It was a super good day and fun to be out here serving for it. As you saw from the mission blog, today was our temple day so we get to email after the temple. It was so awesome!!! I love going to the temple and feeling the spirit that is there. It really made me feel so good and will definitely help me out for the upcoming weeks.

   As for the weather, yeah it is getting pretty warm here! Consistently in the 90's, so tell Ethan to be prepared for a hot summer!!:) But also tell him to be prepared to come to an awesome place.  He is really going to love it. I have had the opportunity to rub shoulders with a few of the missionaries from the East mission since we go over there every week for church. That would be so cool if Ethan got put into the Samoan Ward with me. Or even if he got put into the Civic Center Ward, which is the Palagi ward that meets in the same building as us.  As far as I know, they just got double transferred into there, so he probably won't go there - but you never know!!!

   This past Sunday I had the opportunity to speak in Sacrament meeting and that was a really neat experience and a good time for me to reflect on some of the good old days moving cows. That will make a little more sense when you get my letter I sent you on Monday because it has the talk in it. 

   We had a really good Memorial Day.  We started off by playing some sick basketball. That is one thing I love about this zone - most people enjoy balling it up every Monday.  So that always gives me something to do.  Then the other half of the zone plays board games up on the stage.  The best part is that we have a ton of people that aren't missionaries show up to play ball, too. Several less active members from all over the Stake come and then even a few non-members come. Also missionaries who are preparing to go on missions come and play with us, so I am sure that is a good opportunity for them to see that we as missionaries are normal people. It is pretty funny how different it is to play ball with a bunch of missionaries than it is to play with just people up at the college. For the most part people are trying to be on our best behavior and so that makes it much more enjoyable.

   Then that evening after p-day was over, our Samoan dinner wanted us to come and pick up dinner at their house about 30 minutes away from where I live. So we headed up there and when we got there she texted us and was like hey elders, sorry I am running a little late I will be there as soon as I can!! Well, little did we know but she was coming from Henderson! So 45 minutes later she came and we barely made it to our appointment. But it all worked out so it was good and they are super awesome! They just seem to take Mormon Standard time to a whole new level! haha

   Then the highlight of my week, we have been teaching a less active couple.  They are the ones who have been on drugs and we are teaching and trying to help them come back. Last week we had assigned her to read to 1 Nephi chapter 12 which from Thursday to Monday would have been a huge task for any of our other investigators. We thought that she would have read it but when we got there and asked her how her reading was going she was like, "well, I only got to Mosiah 7.  But it was really good so far". I seriously about fell out of my chair.  I couldn't believe it. It was so cool because this week her husband went back to Vernal.  He couldn't stand to be cooped up here in Vegas anymore.  That is really scary because if he falls into temptation and does any drugs at all then he won't be able to come back to Vegas with his wife and kids. She said that she has always turned for drugs when things got hard and the only thing that has been able to help her this time has been the scriptures. She said sometimes she finds herself reading for 4 or 5 hours a day because she feels so bad and it is the only thing that can help her.

  That is so amazing and such a testimony of me as to what the scriptures can really do for all of us!! I love you all so much and I hope that your doing good. Let me know if there is anything that I can do for you. Once again thanks so much for the letters and the gifts for my birthday.  It really meant a lot!! I will be back emailing again on Monday so I will talk to you all soon! Have a good rest of the week!!

Love,
Elder Crapo

No comments:

Post a Comment