Total Pageviews

Monday, July 22, 2013

July 22, 2013 One year mark, Training from Pres. Ahlander, Thankful for Hillman's welding class!, Mt. Charleston Fire

Talofa fam!!

    Sounds like things back home are going really well and that you are staying warm:) What I would give for some 90 degree weather!!  Things here are going really well and the adjustment from President Black to President Ahlander seems to be going pretty smoothly.  Some of the Elders are trying to take advantage and test the limits, but I really like how President Ahlander has handled it.  He says that all of President Black's rules stay unless you hear otherwise. That is good and he really seems to be getting the hang of things around here.

   We had a leadership training this last Friday and it was good to see President Ahlander up giving some more trainings.  He is already getting famous for some of the stories that he tells and some of the things that he says. For example one thing he always says is, "I know God loves all of His children, but if he loves any of His children just a little bit more it is definitely his missionaries." You can really feel the love that President and Sister Ahlander already have for us and so that is really cool to know how much they care about us already and we hardly know them. There is definitely a different feel to the mission now, though. I know that doesn't make much sense but it really does change things.  I am just excited to finally go on exchanges with him this next month and get to know him just a little bit better. He has been super busy this first month because he has had to meet with all of the Stake Presidencies and talk about the work and I am sure with transfers coming up in about 3 weeks he is stressed to the MAX!  He is doing great and I am sure that Mark and Jennie's parents are doing awesome! Mission President has got to be one of the toughest callings in the church. I can't even imagine.

As for this week, not too much exciting happened.  Although my roommates made me a nice little poster for my year mark.  It was pretty funny. It will be cool because if we all stay one more transfer we will be here for Elder Reel and Elder Stewart's birthdays and also for Elder Stewart's year mark. I actually didn't burn anything on my year mark or my six month mark.  I think I am a no fun haver when it comes to all of that. If I'm feeling it, I will burn something when I am all done, but who knows.


   We did have a pretty cool experience where we got to meet a less active family that lives in our ward that no one knew about. The other day we were going to go and visit a less active family and when we got out of the car I looked over and saw this couple and their kids outside doing something with this little welder. It looked like they were struggling with it, so I went over and started to talk to them and we ended up being able to figure out the problem. They were a younger Hispanic family. After talking to them and helping get their welder figured out, we found out that they were members and that a year ago they were active, but because of the move they just felt uncomfortable coming to our ward. I guess all of those welding classes I took from Hilmdog had some real importance!!!:)  They weren't able to make it to church on Sunday but we are hoping to start work with them and get them back to church.

   Another fun thing we had was our ward Pioneer Day activity!!!! It was really good.  It was held Friday night and we had some good food the kids sang pioneer songs.  Then we had some amazing dutch oven deserts. And after having that dutch oven I wanted to call Hillman right there and have him bring me some dutch oven potatoes and chicken!!! haha Not many people out here even know how to do it! It is crazy how this is so close to Idaho, yet it is a totally different world. Never fear though, Brother and Sister Hawk know how to make it and so I might have them make me some if I get close to transferring. I am hoping that maybe we can do it on like a P-day and then Elder West and I can go and help! But who knows.  We will see.

   As for the thunderstorms....we did get a few but they were all in the evenings. Vegas is crazy when it rains.  It really does pour, like you said Mom. And the thing that stinks is non of it soaks in the ground because everything is either concrete or hard desert clay and so it just runs like a river.  We were dead asleep when the storms went through and I was way too tired to get up and see how bad it was. It seems like every night when I hit the pillow I can hardly move.  I am so tired.  It is always such a good feeling when you have had a really good day and then you get home and you hit the pillow dead tired.

   We also have been doing a lot with the members and trying to get to know them all and also showing them all of the tools that we can use in our missionary work. As I hope you know, one of those is Mormon.org  We can all go and make profiles on there, sort of like a Facebook without all the annoying posts and stuff. But I was on Mormon.org last week and I couldn't find any of our family! So this week, will you all go on there and make a Mormon.org profile?? I know it seems so simple, but it can be a really good missionary tool if we will use it the right way.  Who knows?  Maybe someone will read what you say and then the Spirit will go to work.

   Thanks for all that you guys do every week for me! I feel your prayers working in my life every day. I know God is watching out for all of us and will continue to guide and direct us as we are faithful in keeping all of His commandments. One thing that has been continually on my mind is to pray not only for physical strength for you, but also for Spiritual strength and safety. That was talked about in General Conference and I think that Spiritual Safety is just as important as the physical safety. Continually pray for missionary experiences and I promise that you will have the opportunity to share the Gospel with someone and help them feel that same joy that we feel everyday in our lives. This really is the greatest thing we can do right now, because as we strengthen others we are strengthened as well! I love you all so much and again, thanks for all that you do for me! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you guys!! Keep having a fun summer and enjoy the good weather!

Love,
Elder Crapo

This is a picture of the Mount Charleston fire from our apartment.


No comments:

Post a Comment