Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

July 8, 2013 4th of July; Another baptism; B of M lesson about idle time

Talofa Fam!!!

Happy 4th of July!!! Dang, things here are going so good right now.  I am living the dream and loving life. My new companion is Elder West from Alberta, Canada!! Yeah buddy!  You know I am totally headed up there to go snowmobiling when this is all over.  He is a really cool guy and we work together really well. It has been a huge adjustment for me because he is kind of quiet and my last companion, Elder Peacock... well, he wasn't. But I love them both and I begin to see what the Lord teaches me with each companion. We are still rolling in our sexy van and people love it!  They think we are the coolest missionaries ever.  Elder West comes from a really small town and understands the small town jokes, which is good. He is super knowledgeable, too.   It is kind of embarrassing for me because I am not that smart when it comes to the gospel or book stuff.  He is brilliant, you can tell. He knows a scripture for everything!  It is crazy! We actually compliment each other pretty good. One thing I have learned as that no matter what, there is going to be things that you do not like about each companion but you have to learn to ADJUST, like I have talked about before. And by the end, you don't want a new companion because you are used to the one you have had.

This past weekend was a really touching one for me because Daniel, from my old area got baptized. And holy cow has he changed!  I haven't been able to see him since I left my old area and to see him and see how the Atonement has changed him really was almost unbelievable. I just wish I could help other people see that and see the change that can happen in their lives.  The thing is, he thought he was happy.  He thought he had it all. He had quit doing hard core drugs.   He had quit drinking.  He was living with his brother just getting his feet back under him and then the Gospel brought him real Joy.  He is so so much happier. Honestly, there is no better feeling in the world than the work that we are able to do out here.

So now my favorite person to work with Tiffany.  She has been doing really well.  After her stumble a few weeks ago, it has been really hard for her to recover. She is still doing better but she definitely isn't at one hundred percent where she was. On the fourth of July, we of course had to be in by 6:00pm, but we could be at a members home if they would invite us. So of course, her family came through for us.  We got to spend a lot of time there just relaxing and then watching some fireworks with their family. Tiffany was there but the Fourth was a really hard day for her and you could tell she kind of avoided us. It is a dang hard road to recover from and I want to just put all the info into her head and tell her what to do. But it doesn't work that way:( All I know is that when she is reading the scriptures, praying, and coming to church she seems to do much better.  That's not to say she doesn't have bad days or trials.  But when she is doing those things she takes the trials with a much different outlook and it doesn't hurt her as bad. I see all this and I am trying to get this all engrained so when I am off the spiritual high I am on now and I go through a trial, hopefully I will fall back to this experience.  Because the Gospel is the only way to go.

Also today is Tiffany's bday!!!!! So we have dinner and a lesson with the her family tonight and Tiffany got to chose what she wanted for dinner.  Guess what her choice was?.... SUSHI!!! I am quite nervous!!  But of course when they asked if we liked sushi, I smiled and said yes:) So tonight will be eventful.  I think you should definitely keep me in your prayers, please!!

Honestly though, things are going really well.  I am learning a lot and the heat is finally calming down. There has been a huge fire up on Mt Charleston and so there is smoke all over the valley.  It has made for some pretty cool pictures.  Elder West and I were talking and the conclusion we came to was that the longer you have been on the mission, the more you love it. Now I'm not saying I have been out a long time because I still think I am a green missionary.  But it is a lot of fun! There are a ton of missionaries going out and it is so cool. I am so glad I have had the opportunity to be a part of this work at this time and where I am as well. Could you even imagine if I had missed this chance?? Dang, would I have missed out on a lot of fun and so much Joy. In Preach my Gospel it says Greater Joy and Happiness than you have ever experienced awaits you as you serve the Lord with all you heart, might, mind and strength. That is so true!  As Elder Holland said: missions are a family affair. I hope that you can feel how much good is happening in the missionary work not only at home but all over the world. I know without you I couldn't be here doing what I do.  I am so glad that I have so much family support and it means a ton to me. I pray for your Spiritual and Physical safety every day and I know the Lord is watching over you. Keep working hard at home and doing the things that I would be if I were there!!! Sounds like boating season is on!! Have fun and be safe. Last thing, today as I studied I made a connection in the Book of Mormon that I am sure all of you have made before. But me, being the idiot, just realized it today. haha. So at the beginning of the Book of Mormon in 2 Nephi, right after Lehi dies. Laman and Lemuel begin to get angry with Nephi because they think he is trying to be a ruler over them. So Nephi asked all his family who will follow or flee for fear of their lives. But it says that the Lamanites became an idle people, the way I looked at it was like they have way too much time on their hands because they aren't out doing productive things.  So they begin to think up all the bad things they can do. And now people today are the same.  Almost everyone we come across, if they have addictions or are struggling with something, it is because they have too much down time. So it is good that you are all staying so busy and doing good things. Keep working hard and having an awesome summer at all your camps and sports. I love you all so much!!! I'll talk to you soon!

Love,
Elder Crapo

No comments:

Post a Comment