Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

July 1, 2013 New Companion, Elder West; New Mission President Ahlander


Talofa Fam!!

Well, I am glad to hear that you have been watching the news and seeing how hot it is down here. I have honestly never felt anything like it, it is crazy!!!! When we walk outside in the morning at 6:20am it is already in the 90s and right now it is 11am and it is already 110.  But it isn't too bad because I have a nice mini van to keep me cool:) But yes, there are elders out on bike in this stuff it is crazy!! I don't know how they do it.  In fact my last companion Elder Frost is going to a bike area this transfer.  I feel really bad for him!

It is transfer time, though and I will be getting a new companion. His name is Elder West and he is from Canada!! I always wanted a foreigner as a comp! haha He seems to be a pretty cool guy.  I don't know him too well.  All I know is he has been a Zone Leader 1 or 2 transfers longer than me and I think he has been out for about 14 months or so.  Elder Peacock and I are just finishing up together and it really has been a pretty good two transfers. To be honest, I can't believe that this transfer is up. It seems like we have transfer right after transfer, but it is good that way. I am still living in a four man apartment.  I will be there until I transfer again, which I am thinking won't be at least for 12 more weeks would be my guess.  I really like having six month areas because it allows me to get to know the ward members better and really fall in love with the area. I am beginning to like this area a lot. The members here are awesome and living in a four man makes life exciting.  Sometimes it is a little hard, but we are all guys.  We fight for a little bit and then we forget about it.  I did also find out that Elder Stewart is going to be coming to my apartment so we will be living together. I am not sure if you remember me mentioning him in emails before but we have served around each other A TON!!! I have been out for 8 transfers and I have served 5 of them with him in my district and now this one will be 6, which is really almost unheard of. haha  No one can believe it. He has family that lives in Plano that know Kurtis and Emily.  I'll have to get their names from him tonight when he is in the apartment.

We did get to meet President Ahlander this week and that was super exciting and fun. The whole mission came to one building and he gave a little presentation on his life and they both spoke and bore testimony. It was crazy how all of that worked.  We didn't even really get to say goodbye to President and Sister Black because the Ahlanders were only with them for like 2 hours. It was pretty sad to see President Black go just because of the huge impact he has had on me and the example that he was. But President Ahlander is AWESOME! I love him already and I hardly even know him. It will be an exciting week because we have mission Leadership Council this week where the Zone Leaders come together and we talk about the mission and make goals and things like that.  So we will actually get to meet him and get to know him then.  Not only that, but right after that meeting we have interviews and our zone is the first zone he will be interviewing, which will be sweet! Elder West and I will get to be his very first interviews, so that will be really interesting to see what kind of questions he asks and what he talks about. In his presentation he gave to the whole mission they had a lot of pictures from their home lives and even a wedding picture which was super funny.  He had a sweet mustache when they got married.  You can tell that they have a lot of connections with the church. For one, Sister Ahlanders Dad is Neil A. Maxwell and then they were dropping General Authorities names that they had interviewed with and talked to like it was nothing!! So it is going to be a really cool thing to get know them and feel the transition of the mission.

We also had a really eventful week in terms of missionary work. This week we met with Tiffany again on Monday and she seemed to be doing pretty good. She decided that she wanted to fast so that she could gain a desire to quit smoking and also so that she could come closer to the Lord. So Elder Peacock, me, and her family all fasted that day. Well, it was the WORST day she had had yet. She really came apart and told her Dad she wanted to head back to Utah and be back with her husband who had left her and all of this crazy stuff that she normally wouldn't do. It was really rough. Her mom ended up texting us and told us about it so we were praying really hard that it would all work out. Bishop even tried to go over and see her, but she refused to come out of her room.  Finally she agreed to let us and the Bishop come by the next day so we could talk about what had happened and then help her hopefully see what was happening. The crazy thing about all of this was even while she was going through the worst day of her life she still continued to fast! Well, the next day when we got there she had calmed down and we talked for about an hour with Bishop Levanger and her about what had happened.  She admitted that she really just wanted to go back to Utah so that she could get drugs and take the pain away. It is so sad to see her like this because she is so normal and trying really hard.  If she even lets up a little, the Adversary is throwing everything that he has at her.  She is so strong and she has been doing really well the rest of the week. We went over there last night so Elder Peacock could say goodbye and she seemed to be doing really well.  That made us really happy. And her mom gave us some BOMB desert!!!:) haha It made my night.

Last night we also had a really good meeting at the Stake Presidency's home. He set up this meeting for all Recent Converts, Less Actives, and Investigators. It was cool.  He just shared a quick message and let the people get to know him. We had 4 of our recent converts there and they felt really welcome and it was a really neat experience to get to be in his home and feel of the Spirit there. The recent converts loved it.

But all is well here!! I hope that everyone at home is doing good, I will try not to melt this upcoming week. We talked to some members last night and they said it was supposed to cool down to like 110 this week....... hahah shoot me now!!!!!!! But it is worth it and I am gaining some good experience.  I now know both extremes. I know the Idaho Cold and the Las Vegas hot.  What else do I need to know, right??  I love you all so much and I am grateful for all that you do! Stay safe and keep on keepin on! Ill talk to you soon!!!

Love,
Elder Crapo



P.S.  Have a sweet 4th of July!!! We have to be in by 6 that night so I will be chilling, enjoying a nice mountain dew in the AC:) haha

No comments:

Post a Comment