Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 13, 2013

April 8, 2013 Transfer to a Samoan Ward

What up fam!!!


Well, I am sure that you all are wondering if I am getting transfered???  I think I will let that wait till a little later on in the letter:) haha Dang, was conference good or what?!!! I loved it!  We actually went to a members' home for all of it and yesterday the member fed us an awesome breakfast! Not good on my diet, but it was super good!!  Wow the talks were unreal this time! I love conference!  As a missionary things have a lot different light than when I was at home. It means so much more to me because there is just a different meaning to everything out here. I know that may not really make sense, but I guess it is just something you will all have to experience when you go on missions later on in life. Or for the grand kids when you turn 18 and 19. I have reflected a ton on my mission experience these past couple of days and I have changed tremendously. As part of Elder Frost's twelve week training program we had to watch the district videos and they were all sharing their testimonies of how they came to know it was true and it really made me reflect.  Then with Elder Hollands talk about how we really just need to believe and all will be well.   The fact that I just need to hold my ground on what I do know and then the rest will come.

 I also really like how they talked about obeying God's commandments.  I have been studying up on that a ton lately. That Eternal Law talk that I always reference is all about obedience to God's commandments. Or in other words His law, and the Law as we all know is super strict on our missions.  The reason that is, is because this is our only shot to learn to become like Christ. I mean yes, we can learn it in other ways, but for me there was no other way.  I had to come out here and live this strict lifestyle because I couldn't learn this any other way. I am way too stubborn. haha  I am learning a ton and the Lord has gone way out of His way to bless me.


I guess I could tell you if I got a transfer call or not now. haha I am actually going to be leaving my son, Elder Frost:( sad day!! I love that kid so much and we have become really good friends. I think I even have him convinced to come up to BYU-Idaho in a couple of years to chill with his Dad. which by the way is mission slang.  He is my "son." I am his "dad."  Elder Cunningham is my "dad"... I can explain genealogy later on in life.  But I am leaving and I am going to be covering a Samoan Ward!! How stinking awesome is that!? So, yes I will be getting a Samoan name tag and I will probably be able to pick up on some of the language while I am there because the ward speaks only that during sacrament meetings. Who would have thought in Las Vegas, huh?? But the even cooler part of all of that is my ward covers the whole entire valley! So the whole city just became my area. It is going to be pretty sweet because we will get to go out of the mission and stuff to meet with members and investigators. I will also be covering the Goldcrest ward, which is an English ward.   That will be a lot of fun, too. As for my address, I really don't know it right now.  I do know that my apartment is going to be right across from the mission office so if you just send everything there then I will be able to get it the same day.  As for now, just send everything there until I can get you the exact address. I am super excited and I am going to be with Elder Peacock.  I know a little bit about him.  He is super, super funny. I am not sure who I could compare him to right now, but I let you know when I get the chance.


 So as for everything else, things in our area are going awesome! I am kind of sad to have to leave at such a good point in my mission where Elder Frost and I had been having some serious success! But that is ok, because Elder Frost is a dang good missionary and he will take over and dominate! I am not worried at all and his new companion is coming from a different zone, so he is pretty excited as well.

I did have to buy a new belt today.  My last one was hammered. It had come apart. As for the brand Q belts from Ferrells... I am not totally sold. But, that is ok. Other than that, everything is holding up really well.  I am not super excited to have to move again, but it is good for me and change is never a bad thing.

To finish up, I was thinking about the talks and everything that happened over the weekend with conference and the one that really stuck out to me was the Catch the Wave talk.  I can't really remember who gave that, but I am sure that you know which I am talking about. For everyone missionary work is part of our calling.  We just need to go out and share the Gospel! As we say here in the mission, "It is only awkward if you make it awkward." :) haha Yeah, sometimes it is weird bringing that stuff up. Don't ever pass up the opportunity.   With our recent convert, Max the 7 foot guy. I am not sure if I have told you this story, but how we found him was tracting! One night we were trying to visit a less active and when we got there she wasn't home.  Max and his sister were across the sidewalk in their home cooking up dinner. They awkwardly looked at Elder Frost and I and so more than anything I wanted to just walk away, go get in the car and continue on with our night. As we walked toward the car I just couldn't do it.  So I turned to Elder Frost and said, "Let's go see if they are interested."  AWKWARD?  Yes, but we had too! Christ would do it so why shouldn't I?? So we did.  We knocked his door and little did we know that 3 weeks later Max would be getting baptized. I know that this is Jesus Christ's church here on the earth today. I know that if we will not let our fears get in the way, miracles do and will happen here today with missionary work. I can promise you that if you will just go out of your way to try, the Lord will bless you and the Joy that you will feel will be indescribable. I can't even type this without tears of joy coming to my eyes! Helping someone find our Savior is so much more rewarding than anything I have ever done in my whole life.  I hope that by doing this, blessings are coming at home as well. I love you all so much and thank you for your continued letters and support. It means a ton!! And Tell Rachel Howard good luck and thanks for the letter and the Bracelet she sent me.  It meant a lot!! And Grandma and Grandpa, thanks for your continued support!  You mean so much to me! Keep going strong!!

The only way I can describe how I feel right now is by a quote I shared in my farewell talk... "The BEST thing I ever did was give up what I love most... For the God I love More." I love you all so much and I will talk to you soon! Please remember me in your prayers as I am sure this upcoming week will be a bit of an adjustment for me with the new calling I have received!

Love,
Your son, Brother, Uncle, Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment