Total Pageviews

Monday, April 15, 2013

March 18, 2013

What up fam!!! Dang, things are going good here and sounds like things are starting to pick up at home, too!! Spring is definitely in the air here in good old Vegas! It has been in the 80's a little and we are about to head into the heat of things! It has been a very stress filled week for me, but it has been a good week and a dang fast week!! Holy cow! I can't even believe that I am on the computer right now emailing you guys. Things here in our area are booming right now! The Lord has helped Elder Frost and I so much, it is crazy! We are teaching a ton of lessons and we are doing good.

This week I had to give a training in District meeting and while I was in the Library, Elder Lee, one of the Elders in my district came in and said,  "So are you ready to give your training to President??" I was like WHAT??? Sure enough, President Black was there and he sat in on our district meeting. It was good and it was fun to see him.  The district meeting went well. We have been showing a lot of the Bible videos that are on lds.org in our trainings and we are really putting a focus on the life of our Savior. How are things going as far as missionary work there at home? You said that you have been having meetings with the missionaries.  How are the missionaries doing and what are some of their ideas to get the wards involved?? I am always up for new ideas!!

As for our area right now, the Lord has really helped us out a ton!!! Just a few weeks ago I had hit my lowest low for teaching in my whole entire mission.  We had two weeks in a row where we didn't teach one member present lesson all week... Let's just say that it was pretty tough. But now we are teaching around 20 lessons a week and the work is just Booming! We are hoping and praying for 4 baptisms this month and then at least that many in April. We have had to do a ton of our own finding efforts, but that is always a good thing.  It really shows the members that we are doing all that we can. And yesterday we had 7 investigators at church!! Crazy day for us, that's all I can say!  It was super fun and it is weeks like these that make me look back and wonder, where did the week go?????

I was sitting in church yesterday as we helped to pass the sacrament and I looked out over the congregation and I saw 6 investigators.  As I continued to look, I saw the 7th and I immediately just began to beam with excitement!! I was so happy!  As I sat down I began to think about what I would compare my mission too.  What would I tell the grandkids about a mission?  The first thing that came to my mind was a horse race. I thought a lot a bout the Kentucky Derby and how the horses were right before the race. They were prancing and nervous and couldn't wait to get running. I am sure a little anxious about the race but they still they just wanted to start. That's how I was at the beginning. I just wanted to go. I couldn't wait for the gates to open up!!! And then finally, the gates open! You're in the MTC and you run as hard and as fast as you can.  You just seem to be on top of the world. You hit your first area.  I was double transferred in, so Elder Cunningham and I both just hit it running as hard as we could. Then the next thing you know it is raining and the mud is all around and you just can't seem to keep the pace and the race gets super, super tough. But you push through and the next thing you know you're making the first corner and you can't believe that you are already that far. I feel like the Lord has just given me a second wind.  I am running as hard as I can so that hopefully I can leave this area a much better place then when I found it.

We had a really good exchange with President Black this week, as well.   After our district meeting he came up and asked me if he could come and go on an exchange with Elder Frost and I.  I said, "Of course!" But, I won't lie - I was super nervous!!  When he got to our apartment, he just made me really nervous. So to be completely honest I didn't do as well as I had wanted to and I have been struggling through that all week because I feel like I let him down - like he saw the bad part of me. But if there was one thing that I learned from basketball and coach Jessop it was that there is no excuse.  I had a job to do and I just didn't do it as well as I wanted to. But you pick up and you MOVE on, which has always been one of my biggest struggles on my mission. I hate making mistakes.  It really stinks, but you just have to learn to take them in stride and live it up because you are going to make mistakes and there really isn't much you can do about it!

I learned so much from that exchange though, and that was a super humbling experience.  I learned that I am, for one pretty hard on myself. And for two, he gave me some super good advice that I have been using and it has helped me a ton as I have met with less actives.  We were planning to meet with a family that is less active and I asked President, "What do I do?   Should we start with a spiritual thought or should I do something to ease into the question of why aren't you coming to church?"  He said, "no just ask them."  At first I was like, what??  Then he said just ask them.  Obviously, do it in a loving way, but just ask them how come you haven't been making it to church??  So I started applying that, and guess what?  We have been able to get people to tell us their real concern as to why they aren't coming to church!  I won't lie- I thought of you, Mandi just telling everyone exactly how it is and that is a trait you should be proud of.  Really, that's how it should be.  Don't beat around the bush, just ask it.  So that was something I learned from President and also that I just need to relax! I am doing all that I can and if that really isn't good enough, then I am sure President will let me know.   I was so nervous and tense that I ended up making more mistakes in my teaching and I just didn't feel too good about it all.  So basically, I am hoping that I can work on those things and someday President will come on exchanges with us again!!

The only thing is, I think after this transfer I will once again be moving.  I think Elder Frost will stay here and I will go to a new area. But who knows! All I can do is work hard here and try and make the best out of this ward while I am here. I know that the Lord has me here for a reason and I am so grateful that I get to be here and serve with Elder Frost.  I love that kid!   He is awesome.  We really are becoming good friends! 

I am going to get going.  If there is anything I can help you with, please let me know. Also, do you have an address I can send a letter to Susan or Linda or any of the fam?? I want to let them know I am thinking of Judd and that I hope he gets better soon! I am praying for him all the time and I know if we will just keep praying and trust in the Lord everything will work out! Let them know I love them and I hope he gets better soon!

Thanks for all you have done and for all the letters you have sent.  I miss you guys and hope that your week goes well!! Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help you out.   I love you so much!!

Love,
Elder Crapo

No comments:

Post a Comment