Total Pageviews

Monday, August 13, 2012

First Email from the Mission Field and The Red Rock District.

Dear Family,
   
How the heck are you guys?! I feels like it has been forever! haha I was way stoked to talk to mom and dad last week and then the flight was awesome. Boy, were we excited then we soon realized we had like ten hours of class that day until we could even begin working! I was able to sit next to a guy on the plan and I kept having the impression to talk to him, but he pretended to be asleep or read or something the whole flight. Well, little did he know Elder Crapo had a plan. haha  I kind of have a "greenie" fire I guess you could say. But when the plan landed I began to talk to him and found out that Don was actually a really nice guy who is very family oriented and just wants the best for his kids. He was baptized when he was younger and his family is great. He has a son who lives in Washington and plays baseball in the minors.  We talked and I was able to give him a pass along card with my name on it and he said he would like for me to come and visit him. But unfortunately I'm not in his area.
      Now this next part is for everyone but more-so for Brett, haha cuz we talked about how I wanted to go the ghetto. Well fam, I'm not in the ghetto. I am probably in the richest part of Las Vegas you can get in. I live in a casita next to a million or two million dollar member house. I have to go through a gate which is guarded 24/7 and then another gate which is a code before I can even get into my neighborhood. It is crazy! We live across the street from a 49ers football player and Will Ferrell Lives down the road. Holly Maddison lives in the next neighborhood over and we saw her house but I have yet to see any of the movie stars. haha. I could go on but they aren't important because all these people are ridicoulusly rich!!! We really have a hard time finding places to tract because you can't tract gated neighborhoods. There are only two neighborhoods in my area that aren't gated. But that won't stop us. hahaha We follow cars in all the time and go tract areas that don't have guards, and members will sometimes give us the code also. Oh yeah, and hopefully I can get some sick hookups cuz Wes, Coy and Jeff- wait till you see the pics of the golf course I live on!! IT is unreal but I'm not allowed to golf because I can't afford the $50,000 membership fee a year.
      Now companions- as you all know my MTC comp was a real struggle, but we made it through and I am learning to love people. My new comp is a stud. He is from Missouri but his mom and dad just recently moved to Rexburg... kinda random huh? hahah His dad is applying to be a profesor there. They live kind of in Hibbard, I believe, but he really doesn't know yet because he actually has never been to Rexburg.  As for the "3 some". Yes, I was in one because my comp Elder Williams who is from Vernal, UT left last night at 8:30 to go to Mexico. So we have been working on my Spanish haha.  We have been working like crazy, we had a training the other day from President Black and he showed a video from President Holland. He talked about how every mission president should pray for an Idaho farm boy... Talk about throw the pressure on me!!! haha But like I told president on day one I am going to be the elder you send to work, forget about, and know that it will get done. The Lord has sent me to this area because it is slow right now. I have come to realize how little of the doctrine that I know but I am working everyday as hard as I can to gain a greater knowledge. But I can say this, that my testimony is as strong as it ever will be and I can already tell you I have changed so much. hahaha I get scared sometimes that people wouldn't like me at home. haha
      I will say, though, this isn't a walk in the park. I still have days where I have moments where I wonder what the heck I am doing, but I press on. There are moments when I wonder if I am good enough or if I am even making a difference in anyones life. But you push the thoughts out with thoughts of Jesus Christ and His atonement. I struggle at times with thoughts of home and how much I miss my brothers, which is a little surprising to me at times. hahahaha. But I really do miss Jeff, Wes, Coy and Brett a ton. Why I'll never really know but I am so stoked that I get to follow in their footsteps and follow Christ. But don't get me wrong, the whole family I miss, but those are just small thoughts that come and go. I don't dwell on them. I can tell you I truly enjoy what I am doing and I am so glad that I am here.
      The members here are unreal. I am getting pampered. I just worry what President Black is doing here, because he has set me up way too good. I feel as though I am being prepared, which worries me at times. haha. I got good companions and good people all around me. The Finaus should be adding mom and dad on Facebook. They are an older couple who are my new adopted grandparents. They really are amazing.  Brother Finau is from Tonga and he knew the guy off the "Other Side of Heaven" and used to feed him all the time. He was not converted until he came here to the United States. Such a great man and he has the coolest accent, but it breaks my heart because he is slowly dying from cancer. But he knows exactly where he is going and so he talks of death as if it is going to the grocery store. hahaha.
     I have to tell you an awesome experience I guess, right? haha So the first door I ever knocked on was a house with a HUGE lifted Excursion out front with KNOCKOUT painted all over the car.  So I went to the door and this lady named Ashley came out. I told her who we were and she actually said we could come back!! I was stoked! I mean how lucky am I? First door, right? haha Yeah, Elder Crapo. Well, we go to her house the next day and take Mitchell Paul, a member who just returned from his mission and so we look like the freaking Mafia!! But we go none the less. Right as we walk in she has this vase and as I turn to shut the door my bag hits the vase it falls over and shatters everywhere!! What the heck right? So I am like, dang it cant go much worse than this! And we teach her things go good, we get her to commit to come to church, and she actually prayed, which was good. But she has this annoying as heck dog. I really think it is Satan. haha But as we stand up to leave, it craps right on her white carpet hahahaha So we had one heck of an experience with her and she ended up ditching us for church!!
      But I have to finish up here and I will write more in my letter. Oh, and as for emails- it is legal for anyone and everyone to email me, but the time constraint kills me. haha So I can't write you all back. I try hard to get to as many as I can and then I can write you letters back. But letters are always nice to get in the mail....:) haha So yeah, letters are "gooder" as Regg would say. But have fun this week and be safe!! Remember the Lord is always with me, so no worries here and Elder Cunnigham is keeping me in line. I love you all and hope to hear from you soon.


Love,
Elder Crapo

No comments:

Post a Comment