Total Pageviews

Friday, February 8, 2013

1/28/2013 A New Area

Hey fam!!!

   How is life for you guys?  Things here are going good and we are having a good time.  Elder Frost is one of the new 18 year olds and he is a stud and is ready to be here so that is good.  He and I are working hard and having fun together.  There's not a lot of work as of right now, but that will change hopefully here in the next couple of weeks when we are able to get running. Our apartment is super nice and we each have our own closet and bathroom... Yeah we are pretty spoiled:) The only downfall to where we live is that we are a good 6 miles from our area.  That's kind of weird because there are like 4 companionships that live in the apartment complex that is actually in our area.  I talked to Elder McMillian and he said that the next transfer we will probably be moving to those apartments and then a new set of Elders will be brought to our apartment.  I will be sending a bunch of letters today because today is what is call park and clean day.  That means we can only drive to shop and email and then we just have to go home and clean.  The thing is our apartment is brand new and our car just got vacummed because we had to take it to get serviced on Saturday, so we don't have a ton to clean. So I am going to try and take some time to write letters to you guys.

    The weather here is actually cooling down, too.  It seems like it gets cold for a couple of days and then there is a glimpse of hope for some warmth and then it gets cold again. But definitely not your cold. I think it is like 48 degrees, which to me is freezing now! It is sad that I am so acclimatized, but it is also good. One of the members here in my new bishopric is from the Driggs area.  His last name is Talbot.  Do we know his family? He said his dad used to own a farm up there and they still have a little bit of land up around Driggs.  He's hoping he can move back. He is a total stud and we get along great.  He flies up to Idaho two or three times a year and goes snowmobiling whenever he hears that there is a good storm. Not too bad of a life if you ask me:) Stay here for the awesome warm winters and then fly back when we have really good snow. YEAH BUDDY!

    But our new ward is super young it is almost a little weird, I kinda feel like I am in a married college ward. That really is kind of what we are in.   Everyone is just a few years older than me and it just freaks me out that they already have like two kids. I am like, "dang you people need to slow er down!" And our sacrament meetings are SO noisy because of all of the kids.  It is not so good, but what do you do?  Kids will be kids, I guess.  It has been going well.  We have an awesome Elders quorum President who is pretty cool, but he is just a little over bearing at times. It might actually be what our ward needs. I guess that in October and November the home teaching in this ward was 0% so the only thing we can do is go up!! But from what I have seen, it is just because the ward is young and everyone is in like dental or law school, which I am sure can be super time consuming. But we will be able to turn all of that around. The work is definitely changing before our eyes with all of these new missionaries coming in and new areas being opened up.  Work is going to start booming! The new wave of missionaries we just got in are STUDS!  They really are good guys.

     I got the opportunity to go on exchanges last week with my zone leaders and one is Elder Werner, who I have served around back when I was in Spring Mountain zone. He was just a district leader at that point in his mission. And holy cow, I can't even believe how much different he is just in these last couple of months. He has grown so so much. I just hope that I am also growing so when I get to that point and you all see me again you aren't like, "wow he is still the same kid" haha. I was just literally amazed at how much the mission can change a guy. I guess it is all making sense each and every day why the Lord wants us to be out here serving missions.  He is building up His church- not only by helping people who haven't yet received the restored gospel, but also by building future leaders of the church and of the community.  I have felt a lot of different pressures with the new responsibilities that I have and it has given Satan an opportunity to work on me a little.  I have found myself liking those moments because it gives me a chance to really grow and change.  I know that what I am doing is at least effecting my life, even if it isn't changing anyone else. It's like Elder Holland said, "You better come home with at least one convert, and that's yourself." It is fun to see how much you begin to love the mission and love the people. The area change has kinda been tough because my last ward seemed like home to me. But I can't wait to get to work here and hopefully make an impact on someone here. Or maybe I am here to meet someone that will help change me.  I love the gospel and I know its true. I have seen the changes it has made in other peoples' lives and I am excited for whatever the Lord has in store for me.

  In a talk that I watched this morning, Elder Holland said that we as missionaries are always excited to say that we are representatives of Jesus Christ... which we are. But if we are going to call ourselves that then we better be prepared to walk at least one step or shed one of those tears that he had to shed in order to be his disciple. Christ is involved so much in this work, I can't believe it.  Like it says in D&C 38, "He is with us." It's like President told me in my last interview. "I don't get interviewed once every other transfer. I get interviewed everyday, because Christ is here working right a long side of us."  I know that it's true and I know that this is His work that He has called all of us- even the 18 year olds to do! I love you all and hope you're doing good at home!! I miss you all and can't wait to hear from you! Have a good week!

Love,
Elder Crapo

No comments:

Post a Comment