Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

August 26, 2013 New ward to cover, companion, Elder Kredt

Hows it going fam???

   Well, life in Mesquite is treating me really well! Things here are quite a bit different than the big city life. Crazy enough, I feel like I have forgotten how to live the small town life sometimes. But this is breaking me back into it, that is for sure.  The sad thing is, this really isn't that small of a town. But 20,000 people feels like a really good break from the 2 million city of Las Vegas that I was in. Things here are kind of slow right now, but we have some really big plans for what is coming up. Our stake is doing a 40 day fast, where each ward has a member from their ward sign up for a day during the 40 days and then they fast for missionary work. So that will begin on August 28 and we have a lot of faith that it is going to really change the attitude of missionary work here in the Mesquite stake.

  One cool thing that has happened in the past week was I had the opportunity to go on exchanges with the Elders that serve in Beaver Dam Arizona and also Scenic Arizona. That was a pretty cool experience and those are really small towns - like good old Saint Anthony and Parker, Idaho. It is funny because I can remember thinking that the people who lived in Saint Anthony were city folk... Yeah, haha I definitely needed to broaden my horizons a little bit and see what else is in the world. But this has been a really cool experience and a good challenge for me, because now I see why it is so so important to help the missionaries in our area back at home.  Tracting is so so ineffective.  The other day we knocked one door and the guy answered and said hey Elders how are you?? And we said good and then he was like well we have had you guys knock on our door probably ten times and we really aren't interested. It was pretty funny that even the non-members know who we are and if they aren't interested then they aren't interested. So really the only way to find people who want to hear our message is to work through the members and then we tract the apartments where there is actually some turn over.  We only cover the one ward here. so we only have about 2 apartment complexes. But we are getting creative and we are working with as many less active and part member families as we can. I think that there are a lot of really good opportunities here to do some good work and we just have to work our guts out!

   As for my companion, his name is Elder Kredt and he is from Austin, Texas. He has been out 21 months and so he will probably finish up here in this area. He is going to BYU after the mission and is a super smart and cool guy. He was actually my Zone Leader when I was in the Meadows zone and now we are companions, so that is fun.

   That is super cool to hear that Jevin is back home.  He is a stud and I bet he tore it up in the mission field. Wasn't he in Ghana?? If you get a chance to see him, tell him I said hello. And Taylor Martindale, too.  Tell him I said hi.  I am sure Jase Jeppeson is pretty pumped to have him back as well. Does anyone know, when good old Billy Birch (aka Houston Birch) comes home? I think he is getting pretty close to the end of the rope.

  As for the bear attacks, that is pretty crazy that that has been happening! Has that been like attacks on people or what has been going on there? Keep safe when you go up there and move the cows, I am sure super Duke will keep you safe! haha

   Well, everything here seems to be going really well and we are having a lot of fun. For P-day today we are going to go up and play soccer at these super nice fields where they do the driving competition for golf that they hold on ESPN. I guess that that competition is going to be going on sometime this week, so that is going to be pretty cool. Maybe we will see some famous golfers driving around down here playing the slots. We also have hook ups to play the Wolf Creek Golf course, which from what I hear, is on the Tiger Woods golf game for play station. So hopefully I can get out there and golf it up next week on P-day:) But that is all I have for this week!! I love you guys and hope all is well at home.  Let me know if there is anything I can do for you!

Love,
Elder Crapo

No comments:

Post a Comment